Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Chapter 1: In the beginning….

Well it is March. It is hard to believe that Spring is almost here. I still remember being in fifth grade and thinking that life was moving at a snails pace. Now I long for more time in each day. As I think back to 9 years ago, I realize how much my life has been blessed and how much it has changed. This as some of you know is when Jon and I started dating. March 12th, will be the 9th anniversary of our first date. Some of you have heard the story and some of you don’t care but I think it would be a fun topic to blog on for the next few days so here goes

I think I should start by giving you a little back ground on the two of us. We were both raised in Abilene. I was born there and Jon was born in Lubbock. I lived on the same street in the same house my entire life until I went to college. Jon lived in the same house from 4 years on. I have 2 older sibling and Jon has 1. We are, indeed, both the babies of the family. Though few of the typical stereo types fit. Well for me anyway. :)

We grew up less than 5 miles from each other but never knew each other until our freshman year in high school. I will never forget my first impression of him… Rude, loud, obnoxious, attention seeking…etc… (Though some of these qualities still apply they are in a more endearing fashion.)
At the time, he ran with a crowd that cared more about being cool than serving the Lord. He had been a trouble maker in middle school, everything from drinking to stealing a car for the weekend. Hard to imagine I know.
I was Miss Goodie goodie….only visiting the principal for candy rewards and always bringing home straight A’s.

Our first meeting was in Mrs. Pugh’s 9th grade Honors English class. He was such a jerk I thought doing anything to get attention. My first real memory was one day in our journal writing we had to answer the question…if you could invent anything what would it be. Jon’s answer “Pimp spray, so I could get all the ladies.” I will never forget that. Problem was he wasn’t getting any ladies and I wasn’t getting any men.

I don’t think we ever spoke that year or the next when we had History together. In fact we didn’t even know we were in the same class until we discussed it after we started dating 2 years later. It was all because of another class, Anatomy and Physiology taught by Mr. D.R. Jonas. Greatest teacher ever! By this time Jon had cleaned up his act and I was looking much healthier. More on that in Chapter 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those were the days...it seems like only yesterday. And who doesn't love Mr. Jonas?!?!?!? --randa

The Cochran Fam said...

Judd and I started dating in March also! It was 12 years ago this year - oh my gosh!! I loved the first chapter of the story. I cracked up at the mention of pimp spray! Who knew? Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...great idea...I may have to steal it!